MonitorWare Console Database Indexing
Article created 2005-01-11 by Tayyab Arif.
We have implemented the concept of database indexing to improve the analysis ability of MonitorWare Console at the top of highly populated database. To read more about concept of indexing, please see indexing concepts.
How MonitorWare Console incorporates indexes
Since MonitorWare Console is an analyzing tool, large amount of data is normally fetched from the database. Considering this, indexes are required to improve the efficiency. Keeping in view our database design and architecture, we carried out different tests for indexes.
The tests showed that there was more than 50% improvement in the performance. Statistics showed that by applying clustered index on our “fromhost” field in the database greatly improved the application response, especially our view module that has the functionality of drilling down large amount of data. Indexes provided optimal performance in the view module, if the “fromhost” field was chosen as the first level of hierarchy. In almost all the default views provided with the MonitorWare Console, the first level of hierarchy is set to “fromhost”.
If you are using indexes, it is recommended that “fromhost” should be chosen as the first level of hierarchy in your customized views. It is not necessary that indexes would always provide optimal performance. If other database fields are chosen as the first level of hierarchy in your customized views, then it is not necessary that indexing would help improve the view’s performance.
How to Create / Remove indexes?
It is not necessary that you will always need indexing. If you think that your database size is enormous and that your own customized views are having ‘fromhost’ as the first level of hierarchy then indexing would help you a great deal. For this very reason, it has been kept optional in MonitorWare Console. It is totally up to the user discretion.
Indexes can be created easily. You just need to run our wizard to create indexes in the database. Once created, it can be removed from within the MonitorWare Console.
For applying indexes, open the MonitorWare Console. On the main menu:
1) Go to Tools > Database maintenance > Create / Remove Indexes
If you want to create indexes, select ‘Create Indexes’ option and click ‘Next’.
If you want to remove indexes, select ‘Remove Indexes’ option and click ‘Next’.
If you do not want to proceed, press Cancel to exit the wizard.
If you want to continue making indexes, click Create Indexes. If not, press Cancel to exit the wizard.
2) When you press ‘Next’, the dialogue box below appears. Wait patiently as the process may take time depending on the size of your database.
3) When the process of creating indexes finishes successfully, the dialogue box below appears:
4) If indexes were previously created, the process will finish giving you the message. In this case, dialogue box similar to the one below appears:
5) When the process of removing indexes finishes successfully, the dialogue box below appears:
6) If indexes were previously removed, the process will finish giving you the message. In this case, dialogue box similar to the one below appears: